Thursday, September 13, 2007

Prettier by the minute



It has been incredible to witness the transformation in Amelia over the past few days since we came home. It seems like every hour she looks more beautiful and more like herself--although, as Mya observed, "Her head used to look like an oval, now it looks like a circle." ;)

Since we've been home Amelia's favorite place has been in Mommy's arms, and today is the first time she has taken a nap in her crib lasting more than 20 minutes. She has been through a lot, and this is definitely a readjustment period. I had to laugh yesterday though, when I realized that even with the help of Brian, my in-laws and my mom--which I figured worked out to be the equivalent of a housekeeper, a nanny, a personal shopper, and a cook--I STILL never managed to get a nap! That's okay with me though, there's nothing I'd rather be doing right now than holding little Miss Amelia in my arms.

As I think back on the past several days at the hospital, there are moments when I am still somewhat disturbed at the thought of all that Amelia endured during the surgery and just how disfigured she was with the swelling afterward. At the same time I am reminded of how faithful the Lord was to His promise to be with us, and how intimately we felt His presence during that difficult time. Again, Brian and I are inexpressibly grateful for all of you who surrounded us in love and prayers.

Today as took all these emotions to the Lord I felt Him reminding me that so often the kind of healing we need begins with brokenness and the process itself may be disfiguring. He brought to mind the suffering of Christ and the pain and disfigurement He endured for OUR healing to be complete. Isaiah 53 Surely He took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows...and by His wounds we are healed.

Most of all though, my heart is just so full of joy to see the surgery completed and Amelia recovering so well.

Psalm 103
Praise the Lord, O my soul; all my inmost being praise his holy name.
Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits--
who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from the pit
and crowns you with love and compassion,
who satisfies your desires with good things

As Brian keeps saying, "We are so blessed!"

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are praising God for yet another miracle!! we are so thankful to know you are home and all is well. I can't even imagine how elated you all must feel. There are no words. Thank you for letting us be a part of the journey with you and to witness God's love and grace yet again! Hugs, Harriett and Jay Hanke

Anonymous said...

AMEN!!And AMEN!!! Love ya

Chantel

Anonymous said...

Wes and Brian,
I still have tears when I think of being in that waiting room less than a week ago, and watching two strong and trusting parents waiting for word that surgery was over.My tears today are of praise & gratitude to a faithful and loving God who continues to heal and restore, and once again has brought that beautiful smile back to Amelia and to her family. We love you all so much!
Mom & Dad Wilcox

RPS said...

Wonderful!

Shannon said...

She looks so much like Brian! Thanks for keeping us so well informed! She's gorgeous. Love, S&J

Anonymous said...

We've been reading the updates while on our roadtrip. It's been an amazing story. We are glad things turned out as they have!!!
Theo & Julianna

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing this journey with all of the rest of us. I am rejoicing with you in Amelia's recovery and at the healing at the end of the journey.

Thanks for sharing the insights that God gave you on disfigurement as part of the healing process.

Laurie

Josiah said...

She's so beautiful! Praise the Lord for her healing!