Sunday, September 9, 2007

Resting

After the breathing ordeal last night Amelia continued to have a some "stridor" in her breathing this morning (it sounded like a little gasp/squeak at the end of each breath). Right now, she is resting and her breathing has quieted--a very tangible answer to prayer! She has been sleeping a lot, probably due to the frequent doses of morphine she was getting yesterday and last night. The doctors who evaluated her this morning said they'd like to see her more awake, so they are cutting back on the morphine and giving her Tylenol and Oxycodone (sp?) which is also a narcotic but apparently not a strong. It is tricky to figure out how to give someone her age just enough pain meds without over-medicating. She has had two wakeful times this morning during which she took some small bottles of breast milk, the rest of the time she has been asleep.

I think overall Amelia probably feels lousy, but she seems to be comforted quickly by our voices and our touch. She doesn't seem afraid, just really really grumpy. The swelling in her face (and all over) has increased, which I know is hard to imagine, but Dr. Van Aalst assures us that today is the peak day for that and tomorrow we should start to see the swelling go down.

Thank you for praying for her breathing specifically. Please continue to pray that her airway remains open and also that the doctors/nurses can decide on what and how much medication to give her so that she will be more wakeful, but not hurting.

Lastly, please pray for her to breastfeed soon. We've tried a few times, but she is so mad when she's awake that she has actually bitten me twice (ouch!), so I am pumping and giving it to her in little bottles. I'm hoping as the swelling goes down in the days to come she will be more relaxed and feel more "normal" about it. And pray that if at all possible she/we will not develop a thrush infection as a biproduct of the antibiotics she is currently taking.

Mostly just pray for Amelia (and us) to endure these tiring days. We are grateful that her healing has already begun and looking forward to getting over the "peak" tomorrow.

8 comments:

Shannon said...

We sang "Great is Thy Faithfulness" today in church, and I was reminded how much I love that hymn. His mercies truly are new every morning, and I pray that you will keep on experiencing that as Amelia heals and continues to improve. He provides everything you need. Love, Shannon

emme said...

I know this is so hard and tiring. I'm still praying for that sweet little girl. She looks beautiful and peaceful in that picture. thanks for the updates. We can't wait to hear that she is done with breathing difficulties. We are trusting God with you to take care of her!

Anonymous said...

praying and thinking of you.


Chantel

Anonymous said...

Wes and Brian- we sang "Immortal, Invisible, God Only Wise" this morning in church- enough said, eh? Keep trusting- I know it is difficult now, esp. when you are soooo tired. Try to get some sleep between the 2 of you. We all function better (esp. as parents) with rest. We love you all- Elise and family

Josiah said...

Praying for you guys and sweet Amelia. It's so encouraging to hear about how you are both clinging to the Lord during this trial. We know He is so faithful to all His children, not matter how young or old. Praying that He would cradle Amelia with His comfort..
Love,
Laura Leigh and Jonathan

Anonymous said...

Had the hymn, "I love you Lord", in my head, and thought of you. I pray that you hear and feel the sweet sound of God supporting you in this time. Amelia will feel better soon, I know it. We love you! mom and Ric

Anonymous said...

We are so pleased to hear that she continues to improve. We will continue to pray for you all.
Christine & the Colorado gang

Anonymous said...

We are praying, too, for rest, comfort, and peace. Love you guys.

Team Kirk