Friday, September 7, 2007

4:20 pm In the PACU

I just finally got to go back and see Amelia, and Brian is with her for the first time right now. She is in the post surgery area, and waiting for a bed in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit. I'm not fully sure what PACU stands for (post-surgical ??? unit) but that's where she is.

Seeing her was the most emotional part of this day yet. She has a big head wrap (of course) and her face has already started to swell somewhat. She has a lot of "lines" and some of them are in her lower abdomen and one in her chest (this probably has something to do with the difficulty they had putting them in). She also has a catheter because they want to monitor her fluids/swelling. Can't see much of her head but her forhead looks flatter and she definitely looks "different" which is also partly because of the swelling. She cried out while I was there which was troubling, but the nurse took that as a cue to start her post-surgical pain meds. The nurse, Janine, said the will move her to the PICU as soon as there is a bed available. She will be there for a day or two, then on to the pediatric floor.

Dr. Van Aalst said the swelling is the hardest part for everyone, (her eyes will llkely swell shut), and it will increase over the next day or two, then get better.

I am not discouraged--it was great (and also surreal) to see her post-op, but it was also sobering to realize that she (and her parents) have a rough few days ahead. Please rejoice with us and continue to lift us all up before the Lord.

Brian is back. I'm off to see her again. They said one of us can stay with her at all times now so we'll do shifts...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have been thinking of you all, all day- SO glad that everything is going so well. We love you all and are praying for a speedy recovery! The worst is certainly behind you, thank God!
love,
Helen

RPS said...

We are praying for you. Praise God that she is out of surgery and now healing can begin. You are not alone in this.
--The Stines

Rick said...

Hey Wes & Brian --

It's good you've been able to see Amelia. I understand what you mean by "surreal". As tough as the next couple of days may be, the WORST is over!!

Elly & I are holding you and Amelia constantly in prayer.

Love,
Dad

PS: PACU = Post Anesthesia Care Unit