Thursday, August 9, 2007

Pieces of the puzzle

The roller coaster ride continues. Yesterday the O.R. scheduler told me the first available date for the surgery is October 5. Brian and I then sent an email to Dr. Van Aalst (who is on vacation for two weeks) asking if there is any chance the date would be sooner. He wrote back quickly and said he would speak to her about getting the surgery done in late August or early September. No idea when we'll hear the final word on any of this.

Meanwhile I am attempting the nearly impossible feat of keeping our family germ-free, realizing that Amelia could catch something from which lingering symptoms could lead to another cancellation of a surgery even a few weeks away... (She is still sniffling with her cold which she started a week ago). While I recognize that I have little to no control over this in reality, I still feel the need to be as vigilant as possible about hand washing and about what I allow the kids to be exposed to. Already it is exhausting. Of course Owen decided to celebrate his birthday today with a trip to the doctor because his cold had worsened an he had spiked a fever. He's now on antibiotics, poor guy. We also made the heartbreaking decision not to attend Brian's brother's wedding this weekend (Brian will attend without us) because several family members have had viruses recently.

Another interesting piece of this puzzle is Mya (who now appears to be healthy, thankfully!). She will be starting kindergarten in the end of August and the timing could possibly conflict with Amelia's surgery. In that situation, I know my mom would step in and do a wonderful job, but I still feel incredibly torn at the idea of not being there to support Mya through such a major transition (she has never even been to preschool).

I know in my heart that God really is in control of all of this and that there is no sense in me worrying about it, yet I wear myself out daily doing just that. I can't wait for the day when I can look back on this crazy time and say, "Wow, that was tough, but God really carried us through."

Psalm 61:5-8 Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation. He is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, O people, pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, just a few words of support from another mom with germy kids. Try to think of Amelia's cold as a good thing. Remember, the first time little one's are exposed to a virus, it is always the worst time. Now she is building up her immunities, so that after her surgery she will be better able to fight whatever finds its way home with Mya & Owen. Also, on a personal note, try to relax. Stress will wear down your own immunities, just when you will need them most. You are ALL in our prayers! Christine, etc.

Michelle said...

Please let Mike and I know if we can do anything to help out, esp while Brian is out of town. Do you want to come to the pool on Sat? We're busy in the morning, but maybe you'd be free in the late afternoon after naps? Let us know!

Michelle

kc said...

We're all praying for you guys!

I keep thinking of the Mother Teresa quote, "I know God doesn't give you more than you can handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much."

We're here for you. Just imagine us holding up your arms (as Aaron and Hur did for Moses in Exodus 17). We are fighting this battle with you. . .

Much love,
Kristin

Anonymous said...

Know that we hold you in our prayers and that we share your hope for a confirmed date soon.
In the meantime there are slurpy popsicles, bunnies at twilight and fireflies.
And.. Sammy the squirrel! love, e+d